- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,000 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognised for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 25 of the ‘2018 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and energized Technical Specialist (Urban Development) to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships. We are looking for candidates with a passion for innovation and providing innovative problem-solving that will add value to SMEC. The successful incumbent shall be highly productive in their day to day tasks and also strive to align themselves and their work ethic to our company values.
This position involves technical and management role within the Functional Group in terms of leading and working with teams of engineers, designers and draughtspersons across a portfolio of projects and clients. The role involves technical leadership on traffic and transportation projects and the ability to lift the overall technical performance of the engineering professional team.
With a minimum of 15 years of practical experience in the Urban Development discipline, you will play a key role in:
• Assuming responsibility for management of small, medium and possibly large scale projects. This will include:
o Cost estimates
o Tender submissions
o Technical documentation
o Project scheduling
o Meeting deadlines and budgets
• Developing and maintaining relationships with clients;
• Ensuring that appropriate technical standards and Quality Assurance (QA) requirements are adhered to;
• Applying a deeper understanding of engineering principles to devise and deliver practical and economical solutions to problems;
• Planning and resourcing projects;
• Preparing client reports;
• Assisting in the management and training of staff including mentoring;
• Contributing to the overall management and profitability of the discipline;
• Supervision of drawing production for assigned tasks in accordance with SMEC procedures and appropriate technical standards;
• Being a member of multi-disciplinary team in project delivery;
• Providing technical support and guidance to peers and other functional groups within the level of your expertise;
• Preparing expressions of interest and tender submissions.
• Strictly adhering to SMEC’s Management System (MS), quality standards and HSE procedures
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required
Suitable applicants will have/ be:
• Bachelor of Engineering degree/higher degree from an accredited University
• Relevant professional memberships
• Minimum 15 years of practical experience in the Urban Development discipline
• Ability to identify and provide solutions to challenging engineering problems
• Extensive knowledge of engineering design issues and analysis methods
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Project management and leadership skills
• Ability to use analytical tools including commercial software
• Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively within a culturally diverse and multi-disciplinary environment,
• Knowledge of obligations under the current SMEC MS, and
• Sound knowledge of Quality Assurance (QA).
Closing Date: Thursday, 31 October 2019
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.