- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC provides unique opportunities to work on iconic industry projects with experienced colleagues and leadership teams. We support and empower employees to drive innovation initiatives within a well-established and growing organisation.
Every employee plays a key role in shaping our business and is driven by teamwork, progressive thinking and creative ideas. We are committed to providing platforms to enable our people to engage in the business, deliver value to clients and develop their careers.
When you join SMEC, you join a flexible growing organisation that has a genuine commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, diversity and improving the world we live in.
At SMEC, we understand that our continued success within the infrastructure market is the result of building long-term client relationships. We listen and understand the specific needs of our clients and deliver a complete value chain of services to provide sustainable solutions across major infrastructure projects worldwide.
We embrace emerging technologies and innovations, including BIM and Virtual Reality, to deliver robust engineering services across the fields of transport and logistics, water and environment and energy and resources.
With 16,500 employees working out of over 120 offices in 40+ countries throughout Australasia, Asia, the Middle East, UK, Africa, North and South America, we partner with our parent company Surbana Jurong and sister company Robert Bird Group (RBG) to deliver integrated infrastructure expertise to our clients worldwide.
Our journey of growth is only beginning, and we look forward to strengthening our already established capabilities, entering new markets and offering more effective solutions across infrastructure developments worldwide.
We are currently seeking a Manager - Technical Services Infrastructure (VIC/TAS) to join our Melbourne office. Working closely with our Infrastructure business you will provide leadership, coordination and strategic direction to the Technical Services team in all offices within VIC/TAS, and in collaboration with the wider SMEC business. The successful applicant will split their time between team management and project leadership/delivery ensuring that client relationships are maintained through excellent delivery.
With a track record of achievement in a similar role, you will have gained your experience in an engineering design consultancy and have a passion for building trusted relationships to drive positive change and win new work.
- Effective strategic planning and management of the Technical Services area for VIC/TAS
- With support from the Manager - Technical Services ANZ, provide leadership and development opportunities to the employees located in the VIC/TAS offices to ensure cohesion, optimal performance, resourcing, retention and professional development
- Provide specialist advice and demonstrate advanced technical skills, ensuring that design tasks undertaken meet appropriate technical standards and the requirements of the client and SMEC
- Provide project governance and project management in the Technical Services area to achieve reliable project performance in terms of sophistication, timeliness and quality
- Build and maintain strong and effective client relationships through successful project delivery and targeted activities;
- Contribute to providing leadership to employees on the project to ensure project team cohesion, optimal performance, resourcing, retention and professional development.
- Provide support to the Manager – Technical Services ANZ and develop and implement systems improvement within a national framework to keep our staff and brand at the forefront of the industry
Suitable applicants will have/be:
- Approximately 15+ years experience in similar roles
- Advanced Diploma, Associate Degree or Degree. Management and leadership qualifications highly regarded
- Operational experience devising/delivering effective strategic action plans and pastoral care to Technical Services teams
- Experience provide excellent project governance and management in the group to achieve reliable project performance in terms of sophistication, timeliness, budget and quality
- Engage key stakeholders effectively to result in superior technical outcomes which meet or exceed client expectations
- High proficiency in the application of 3d modelling design and documentation software with an understanding of Digital Engineering
- Knowledge of the appropriate industry standards
- Able to build trusted working relationships through good interpersonal and communications skills
In return, SMEC offers you the benefits that come from working in a global multidisciplinary consultancy in an environment where your fresh ideas and enthusiasm will be welcomed and rewarded.
As an inclusive and growing organisation, SMEC is committed to building a global community of talented professionals and thought leaders. We recognise the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace and look for people with different backgrounds, skills and expertise to drive innovation and shared learning across our growing global network. SMEC is committed to equitable recruitment practices and encourages applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders decent
What we offer
When you join SMEC, you will have the opportunity to embrace your creativity and drive change across the business. Working with clients and partners, you will be part of an organisation that helps to shape our communities, industries and the global landscape. Our recent growth has provided new and exciting opportunities; our employees enjoy a consistent flow of significant projects, end-to-end responsibilities and are motivated by meaningful work.
Link to benefits: http://www.smec.com/en_au/careers/your-career-with-SMEC
As an inclusive and growing organisation, SMEC is committed to building a global community of talented professionals and thought leaders. We recognise the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace and look for people with different backgrounds, skills and expertise to drive innovation and shared learning across our growing global network.
SMEC Australia recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional custodians of the land in which we live and work – Australia. We are committed to equitable recruitment practices and as such, encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent to apply and notify us of their application by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about SMEC http://www.smec.com/en_au http://smec.com/infocus/
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact David Wood – David.Wood@smec.com
Follow the link to visit SMEC's careers page www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.