- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,000 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognised for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 25 of the ‘2018 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and energized Senior Technologist or Senior Engineer to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships. This will be a 6 month contract position.
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose
This position is responsible for providing professional services on projects within the Functional group, including design management and design delivery for projects as well as managing small teams of medium/large projects.
With a minimum of 8 years of professional experience, your key responsibilities will include:
• Management and delivery of medium/large projects
• Developing business strategies for the section in line with the Function’s groups objectives
• Developing, building and maintaining client relations while maintaining client satisfaction
• Submission of tenders and proposals for function
• Mentoring existing personnel and assisting clients to be able to register professionally
• Winning and delivering projects for the section
• Meeting budgetary and time constraints of various projects whilst maintaining appropriate technical standards, and QA requirements
• Developing and maintaining key client relationships
• Assisting in development of Section’s staff
• Ensuring all projects are adequately resourced in terms of capabilities and specialists
• Ensuring that projects are completed within time and budget
• Ensuring appropriate technical standards and Quality Assurance Management System requirements are maintained on projects
• Reviewing Professional Service Provider Bid Documents - identifying commercial risk and financial risk(s)
• Preparing response letter to accompany the document limiting the amount of risk associated to the company
• Authoring competent technical reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality
• Checking work of all those in the project team and taking responsibility for their work
• Presenting / representing your technical work
• Realistically estimating pricing/timing associated with projects within your area of expertise
• Clear knowledge of work procedures and ability to brief project team on them
• Successful in identifying and following through on leads associated with additional work prospects on the projects they are involved with
• Clear understanding of local functional business technologies and markets
• Making/ensuring technical decisions are outcome driven
• Training others in your functional field and building a team
• Marketing technical capability
• Supervising Engineers or Technicians in undertaking checks and inspections of constructed works for compliance with design and specifications, including monitoring and proposing remedial actions
• Evaluating test results and visual inspections, with sound engineering judgement to approve or reject work done
• Adopting a proactive approach to prevent costly mistakes
• Implementation of project management and company procedures
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• B.Eng (Civil) or B.Tech (Civil) degree from an accredited University
• Professional registration – Pr.Tech or Pr. Eng Mandatory
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience
• Knowledge of QA and OHS requirements in SMEC
• Experience in Government standards, codes and documentation
• Knowledge of web-based project cost control and financial systems (BST)
• Knowledge of the commercial aspects of project management - understands the key project issues and how these influence his/her work
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and can make good decisions on own initiative
• Professional delivery and appearance to ensure SMEC image is maintained
• Courteous and business orientated manners when communicating with stakeholders to foster and promote good working relations .
• Software experience in Civil 3D - Proficiency in software essential
• Demonstrated understanding of the principles of the design process and how design is translated into deliverables using software tools
• Ability to draft technical reports of acceptable technical presentational quality
• Demonstrated understanding of local functional business technologies and markets
• Ability to organise information well and communicate design intent through software tool output
• Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment
• Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Ability to maintain a consistent and manageable workload
Closing Date: Thursday, 31 October 2019
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.