- Flexible global organisation with exposure to international best practice engineering design
- Access to a range of professional development opportunities and collaborate with our global team of specialists
- Mentored by passionate leaders
SMEC provides unique opportunities to work on iconic industry projects with experienced colleagues and leadership teams. We support and empower employees to drive innovation initiatives within a well-established and growing organisation.
Every employee plays a key role in shaping our business and is driven by teamwork, progressive thinking and creative ideas. We are committed to providing platforms to enable our people to engage in the business, deliver value to clients and develop their careers.
When you join SMEC, you join a flexible growing organisation that has a genuine commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, diversity and improving the world we live in.
At SMEC, we understand that our continued success within the infrastructure market is the result of building long-term client relationships. We listen and understand the specific needs of our clients and deliver a complete value chain of services to provide sustainable solutions across major infrastructure projects worldwide.
We embrace emerging technologies and innovations, including BIM and Virtual Reality, to deliver robust engineering services across the fields of transport and logistics, water and environment and energy and resources.
With 16,500 employees working out of over 120 offices in 40+ countries throughout Australasia, Asia, the Middle East, UK, Africa, North and South America, we partner with our parent company Surbana Jurong and sister company Robert Bird Group (RBG) to deliver integrated infrastructure expertise to our clients worldwide.
Our journey of growth is only beginning, and we look forward to strengthening our already established capabilities, entering new markets and offering more effective solutions across infrastructure developments worldwide.
Exciting career opportunity in Cairns, gateway to Australia's Great Barrier Reef and tropical Far North Queensland. Join the SMEC Graduate / "soon-to-be-graduate" Development Program in January 2021.
We have a terrific opportunity for a Civil Engineering Graduate with 0 to 3 years' experience to join our Cairns team as a part of the January 2021 intake. A fantastic position if you're passionate about civil engineering and a chance to apply your technical skills in a professional consulting environment. We believe in diversity of experience and will provide you with exposure across a broad range of civil engineering disciplines. Supported by passionate mentors, leading technical experts in their field, you will be involved:
- Carrying out detailed design work and documentation under supervision
- Contributing to the delivery of projects, often from a practical / hands-on perspective e.g. civil/structural/geotechnical design, site inspections, core sample logging, data entry, reporting on field investigations and construction supervision
- Site visits to verify designs including travel to remote areas e.g. Torres Straight Islands, The Cape & Gulf Country
- Liaising with supervisors, CAD technologists and other specialists for the delivery of designated work packages and projects
- Assisting in preparation of specifications, proposals and other documents under supervision
Enrolled in our Graduate Development Program you'll receive structured learning. This includes six monthly rotations and peer support to allow you to broaden your experience across Civil Engineering disciplines and gain a wider appreciation for the technical components of multi-disciplinary projects. Regular training provided, everything from consulting with clients to managing your time effectively.
Suitable applicants will have/be:
- A Civil Engineer or currently involved (final year) studying towards a degree in Civil/Structural/Geotechnical Engineering
- Appreciation of the technical, commercial, financial, and marketing aspects of engineering
- Strong interest in design and technical aptitude
- Basic theoretical knowledge of Engineering principles to analyse and interpret information
- Practical outdoor skills and aptitude for working within construction and remote field teams
- Ability to complete tasks within time and budget constraints to an acceptable standard
- Developed knowledge in analytical methods, tools and principles
- Able to undertake interstate travel as required
- Attracted to Cairns and a regional lifestyle
In return, SMEC offers you the benefits that come from working in a global multidisciplinary consultancy in an environment where your fresh ideas and enthusiasm will be welcomed and rewarded.
What we offer
At SMEC, you will benefit from working in a flexible global organisation with exposure to international best practice engineering design.
You will have access to a range of professional development opportunities, collaborate with our global team of specialists and be mentored by passionate leaders.
Our recent growth has provided new and exciting opportunities; our employees enjoy a consistent flow of significant projects, end-to-end responsibilities and are motivated by meaningful work.
Link to benefits: http://www.smec.com/en_au/careers/your-career-with-SMEC
As an inclusive and growing organisation, SMEC is committed to building a global community of talented professionals and thought leaders.
We recognise the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace and look for people with different backgrounds, skills and expertise to drive innovation and shared learning across our growing global network.
SMEC Australia recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional custodians of the land in which we live and work – Australia. We are committed to equitable recruitment practices and as such, encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent to apply and notify us of their application by emailing email@example.com.
Learn more about SMEC: http://www.smec.com/en_au http://smec.com/infocus/
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts. To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at http://www.smec.com.
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.