Transportation Associate Director
Job no: 503647
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Roads and Highways, Rail, Ports and Maritime, Airports, Environment and Social Protection, Design, Traffic and Traffic Planning, ITS, Project Management, Construction Services
- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,000 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 27 of the ‘2019 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
We are currently seeking for a “Transportation Associate Director (Manager, Transport)” to be based in SMEC’s Malaysia Office on Transport project.
Primary Position Purpose
To win and deliver projects for the Transport Sector in Malaysia, resulting in growth and a sustainable ongoing business of greater than MYR 1x Million p.a. fees by 2021.
- Accountable for managing the client management process for the sector, building strong client relationships, and converting sales to achieve new work won targets, growing the business to greater than MYR 1x Million p.a. fees by 2021
- Develop and implement a strategy for the sector in conjunction with the Malaysia Leadership Team and global sector leaders.
- Promote SMEC & SJ’s brand within the industry through personal networks and connections
- Promote SMEC & SJ’s brand within the industry through industry events, conferences, thought leadership etc. within agreed overhead budgets
- Support the BD process in other sectors as required.
Project Management / Delivery
- To be accountable for the delivery of projects in the Transport Sector. Manage the performance of Project Managers and personally act as Project Director or Project Manager for specific projects.
- To provide direction and oversight to project teams to achieve a successful project, including guiding, mentoring and training the team
- To be accountable for ensuring client satisfaction with SMEC’s services such that we can achieve repeat business
- To ensure projects are managed in compliance with SMEC’s processes and procedures for HSE, QA, financial reporting etc.
- To ensure projects are delivered on, or exceeding, the budgeted contribution margin and that cash-flow and lockup are proactively managed.
- Contribute technical expertise to projects as required.
Technical Delivery / Quality
- Ensuring technical audits are carried out for all projects in the sector
- Contribute to technical audits personally in your area of expertise
- Contribute technical expertise to projects as required
- Be accountable for leading staff to be motivated and productive contributors to SMEC
- Work with the Project Managers to ensure the team are performing at a high standard, and lead the team to ensure appropriate personal development is provided for each team member
- Ensuring that staff management matters are taken care of in a timely and appropriate manner e.g. leave approvals, performance reviews, and that retention of talent is proactively managed
- Actively recruit new talent to promote organic growth of the sector
- Be a good team player, contributing to a productive culture within the team
- Contribute proactively as a member of the management team in the office
- Contribute proactively to development of strategy for the regional and divisional business, and the sector strategy globally
Key Performance Indicators
- Grow a sustainable business in the transportation sector in Malaysia.
- Managing a portfolio of projects to the mutual benefit of the client and SMEC
- Proactively managing project teams and direct reports, including guiding, mentoring and training
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Professional qualification in Civil Engineering. Post Graduate qualification in relevant discipline would be desirable.
- Registered with Board of Engineers Malaysia as Professional Engineer
- Minimum 20 years of demonstrated experience in the technical delivery and management of projects.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading and managing business development and portfolios of projects
- Excellent knowledge of the transportation / infrastructure sector in Malaysia, and preferably established networks within the industry.
- Excellent understanding of operational and project management, and professional services contracts.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively within a culturally diverse and multi-disciplinary environment, internally & externally.
- Professional delivery and appearance to ensure SMEC image is maintained,
- Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment,
- Willingness to learn new skills and acquire new knowledge,
- Ability to apply new knowledge, and
- Able to work under pressure.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
Advertised: Singapore Standard Time
Applications close: Singapore Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend