- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,000 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognised for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 27 of the ‘2019 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and energized Electrical Engineer - Transmission and Distribution (Fixed Term) to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships. This will be a fixed-term 1 year contract position.
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose
This position is responsible for the technical design and project management of projects within the Section and providing assistance to Professional Engineers/Scientists/Other Professionals/Consultants.
With a minimum of 3 years of practical experience in substation design/ construction, the key responsibilities are:
• Substation Design
• Supervising and managing small teams (Technicians, Students, Draughtsmen, Graduates)
• Mentoring Technicians, Graduate Technologists and/or Graduate Engineers in relevant software tools
• Checking the work of other team members
• Developing increased design ability and quality
• Drafting technical reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality
• Making technical decisions and providing solutions rather than one completed end result
• Able to present/ represent your technical work
• Able to draft responses to straightforward bids – assistance sought with commercial aspects
• Developing knowledge of the commercial aspects of project management
• Developing understanding of Functional Unit technologies and markets
• Ability to check and inspect constructed works for compliance with design and specifications
• Construction administration and monitoring
• Preparation of tenders for construction including BoQ’s and specifications
• Preparation of tender bids to clients including draft cost estimates
• Development of internal standards and implementing them
• Developing solutions to complex engineering problems
• Performing design work duties under the supervision of a Professional Engineer/ Scientists/Other Professionals
• Applying SMEC’s systems and procedures and ensuring enforcement
• Working with clients and municipal line departments to capture their requirements
• Compilation of contract documentation and specification including measurement files
• Client invoicing
• Project auditing (if assigned role of quality auditor)
• Project management
• Project financial forecasting, budgets and associated resource planning
• Regular client contacts without Senior Managers
• Indirectly responsible for term tender budgets
Key Performance Indicators
• High Quality Substation designs
• Quality and timelines of reporting
• Planning of workload to meet deadlines
• Knowledge of SMEC’s systems and procedures
• Proficiency in electrical design and analysis software packages
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required
• Bachelor of Engineering degree from an accredited University
• Minimum 3 years of practical experience in substation design/ construction
• Clear understanding of local functional business technologies and markets
• Knowledge of basic project management
Closing Date: Friday, 07 August 2020
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.