- Multi-disciplinary Planning and Design team working on a mix of urban development and infrastructure projects
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally, nationally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
- Attractive new premises Collins Square - 4 minute walk for Southern Cross Railway Station
This exciting opportunity has arisen because of our partnerships, our growth plans and our national management structure. We are seeking a Senior Urban Planner to join our Planning & Design studio in Melbourne to enhance our capability to provide world best practice on urban development projects across numerous sectors including major infrastructure projects.
Our team is involved in a diverse range of statutory and strategic planning projects, including:
- Project management of planning permit applications for both greenfield and brownfield development projects, including residential, commercial, industrial, mixed use, health and education
- Planning scheme amendments
- Strategic planning projects
- Feasibility studies
- Planning panel and tribunal cases
- Provision of planning advice and expertise for large multidisciplinary infrastructure projects as well as smaller planning investigations and design projects
As a key member of our Planning & Design team, the successful applicant will work closely with our internal and external Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Transport Advisory, Engineering and Project Management teams across the full project life cycle from project feasibility through to delivery.
The successful applicant will have:
- Tertiary qualifications to satisfy the requirements for Corporate Membership with the Planning Institute of Australia, or other similar
- minimum 6 years' experience in urban planning
- Demonstrated experience in taking a lead role in client management and project delivery
- Client facing experience in managing and coordinating the planning component of both greenfield and urban renewal projects
- Preferably additional experience in major infrastructure or environmental project approvals
- Have a thorough understanding of urban planning concepts and urban design concepts
- High level of experience with complex planning issues and their resolution
- Experience in staff mentoring and guidance
Significant opportunity exists for the right candidate to advance to Associate level. SMEC believes passionately in the benefits of a diverse workplace and, as such, we are open to consider flexible work arrangements, if required.
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong (SJ) and the Robert Bird Group (RBG) to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of close to 15,000 dedicated people working across a network of over 100 offices in about 40 countries.
At SMEC, we understand that our continued success within the urban development industry is the result of building long-term client relationships to provide integrated consulting services to plan, design, construct and manage complex urban development and built environment projects in tandem with our other integrated Business Units. SMEC provides unique opportunities to work on iconic industry projects with experienced colleagues and leadership teams. We support and empower employees to drive innovation initiatives within a well-established and growing organisation.
Consistently recognised for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world.
Our Urban Development Business Unit employs professional staff including Town Planners, Urban Designers and Master Planners, Landscape Architects, Civil Engineers, Surveyors and Project Managers. We provide integrated consulting services needed to plan, design, construct and manage projects from concept to completion.
As a part of SMEC’s transformation to a leading global consultancy, our Melbourne office provides a modern collaborative and dynamic space to foster innovative and creative solutions for our clients.
As an inclusive and growing organisation, SMEC is committed to building a global community of talented professionals and thought leaders.
We recognise the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace and look for people with different backgrounds, skills and expertise to drive innovation and shared learning across our growing global network.
SMEC is committed to equitable recruitment practices and encourages applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders decent
Learn more about SMEC:
Our journey of growth is only beginning, and we look forward to strengthening our already established capabilities, entering new markets and offering more effective solutions across infrastructure developments worldwide.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact David Wood – email@example.com
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.