- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and nationally
- Friendly and flexible working environment – Sydney or Melbourne based
SMEC provides unique opportunities to work on iconic industry projects with experienced colleagues and leadership teams. We support and empower employees to drive innovation initiatives within a well-established and growing organisation.
Every employee plays a key role in shaping our business and is driven by teamwork, progressive thinking and creative ideas. We are committed to providing platforms to enable our people to engage in the business, deliver value to clients and develop their careers.
When you join SMEC, you join a flexible growing organisation that has a genuine commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, diversity and improving the world we live in.
We are currently seeking a talented Principal Engineer with a strong background in secondary design and a sound working knowledge in Protection, SCADA, communications, Automation and Circuitry design to join our National Power & Energy team. We are flexible with location and the role can be based out of our Melbourne or Sydney offices.
With 15+ years’ experience in detailed design, you will play a key role in:
- Delivering secondary designs and reviews for greenfield and brownfield projects
- Technical delivery, and client relationship management across national power projects
- Strong team leadership and design management for Energy related projects
- Delivering projects under strict timescales whilst ensuring financial performance meets with SMEC objectives
- Contributing to bid preparation and providing technical input across all disciplines.
- Reviewing work produced by junior engineers
- Certifying engineering designs
- With a track record of achievement in a similar role, you will have gained your experience in an engineering design consultancy and have a passion for building trusted relationships to drive positive change and win new work.
Suitable applicants will have/be:
- Experience in concept and detailed secondary design for substations up to 500kV
- Experience producing and/or reviewing of protection settings and protection relay configuration files
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or equivalent
- CPEng required. RPEQ qualification is preferred but not a pre-requisite but it will be expected that the incumbent works toward achieving RPEQ certification
- 15+ years of industry experience in electricity substation design for Secondary Systems
- Experienced working to various NSP standards on Eastern Seaboard
- Advanced knowledge of secondary plant technologies and equipment, protection schemes, IEC61850
- Very disciplined in undertaking quality assurance activities to ensure delivery excellence
- Developing consulting and client management skills
- Strong report writing skills to prepare and furnish reports/drawings
- Strong communicator; able to explain complex issues to a range of stakeholders (internal and external).
When you join SMEC, you will have the opportunity to embrace your creativity and drive change across the business.
Working with clients and partners, you will be part of an organisation that helps to shape our communities, industries and the global landscape.
Our recent growth has provided new and exciting opportunities; our employees enjoy a consistent flow of significant projects, end-to-end responsibilities and are motivated by meaningful work.
Link to benefits: http://www.smec.com/en_au/careers/your-career-with-SMEC
As an inclusive and growing organisation, SMEC is committed to building a global community of talented professionals and thought leaders.
We recognise the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace and look for people with different backgrounds, skills and expertise to drive innovation and shared learning across our growing global network.
SMEC Australia recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional custodians of the land in which we live and work – Australia. We are committed to equitable recruitment practices and encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent to apply.
Learn more about SMEC:
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact Teresa Chan – email@example.com
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.