- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC South Africa is part of the SMEC Group who joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory services. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,500 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 24 of the ‘2021 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
This is an exciting opportunity for talented and energized Graduate Engineering Geologist to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships.
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose
This position is responsible for the technical design of projects within the section and will be required to provide assistance to Engineers.
With a minimum of 1 year of work experience practising as an engineering geologist in the consulting industry (post honours degree), the candidate will be required to fulfil the following duties (list not exhaustive):
• Compilation of proposals, tenders and expressions of interest to drive the commercial operations of the function.
• Manage multiple projects (client expectations, financial, contractors and technical requirements).
• Undertake fieldwork that may take them away from home for several weeks at a time.
• Supervise geotechnical contractors.
• Analyse and scrutinise field test and laboratory test data.
• Compile interpretive geotechnical reports.
• Undertake field mapping exercises.
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience required:
• An Honours degree in Engineering Geology or in Geology.
• MSc in Engineering Geology or related geotechnical field is desirable.
• 1 to 5 years work experience practising as an engineering geologist in the consulting industry (post honours degree).
• Registered as a candidate geologist with SACNASP and working towards professional registration.
• Work experience to include:
o Compiling proposals and tenders to win new work
o Project management of small to intermediate scale projects (test pitting and drilling)
o Management and supervision of geotechnical contractors (plant hire, drilling, laboratories, geophysics)
o Proficient in soil and rock logging to the latest industry standards
• The candidate must embrace technology and software in delivering high-class projects. Experience in the following software packages/ or similar is crucial:
o WinLog, gINT, HoleBASE, etc.
o Rocscience suite: DIPS, RocData, etc.
• Adventurous personality (i.e. enjoys fieldwork in remote locations).
• Available to undertake fieldwork assignments for extended periods.
• Independent worker.
• Humility in taking guidance and review from senior staff members.
Closing Date: Friday, 24 September 2021
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act.
SMEC is committed to an organizational culture that recognizes, appreciates, and values diversity & inclusion.
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.