- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC South Africa is part of the SMEC Group who joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory services. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,500 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 24 of the ‘2021 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose
Expected to apply the concepts of GIS and Data conversion learned through education and/or experience to solve tasks as assigned. The position will also be required to provide mapping and data processing assistance to Senior Technicians, Engineers and Technical Specialists.
With a minimum of 1 year of working experience with a GIS System, the key responsibilities will be:
• Data capturing (including field survey data), acquisition, checking, cleaning, digitising and converting
• Database compilation, manipulation, reporting and analysing
• Analysing geographic relationships among varying types of data
• Creating maps and graphs, using GIS software and excel
• Performing geospatial modelling, analysis and data manipulation
• Producing spatial and non-spatial data/information relevant to particular analysis
• Providing technical assistance
• Interpreting various information from different applications into a GIS format
• Processing of raw data as supplied by Client, consultants or internally and updating such information in spreadsheets, database, system(s) and GIS
• Providing GIS function for consulting engineering environment
• Solving problems using the GIS suite of tools
• Processing of multiple sets of data
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience required:
• Preferably studies within GIS, Engineering, Geography or a related field
• 1-5 years minimum working experience with a GIS system
• ArcGIS Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst experience will be an advantage
• GIS usage in the Asset Management environment
• Appropriate qualification to be able to register with PLATO
• GIS related coursework and training
• Strong proficiency in ArcGIS 10
• Proficiency and experience in open source GIS software – QGIS, will be advantages
• Ability to prioritize and organize work
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Ability to be flexible and adaptable to constant change
• Ability to perform field work and travel when required
• Strong interpersonal skills to assist and communicate with staff and clients
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially MS Excel
• Skill in the manipulation and management of relational and non-relational database(s)
• Advanced Computer Skills
• Ability to create/customize project specific maps
• Visualisation and Cartographic skills
• Enthusiastic about learning, pushing technical limits and finding new solutions
• Good writing and communication skills - for documentation, training, processes etc.
• Valid driver’s license and own vehicle
Closing Date: Thursday, 09 December 2021
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act.
SMEC is committed to an organizational culture that recognizes, appreciates, and values diversity & inclusion.
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.